Two days of Trains, Trains and Trains! Four in-town destinations:
1) Historic Jefferson Train Show Saturday, May 15, 10AM–5PM; Sunday, May 17, 11AM-4PMJefferson Train Show with several modular model railroad layouts and model train vendors at Jefferson Convention and Visitors Center,
2) R.D. Moses Model Railroad display at the Jefferson Historical Museum,
3) Historic Jefferson Railway excursion along the Big Cypress Bayou including a stop at the Diamond Don Gator Pit, (see more below)*
4) Tour of Atalanta, the private railroad car of rail baron Jay Gould, led by docents in period dress. Purchase tickets at each individual venue.
5) Lonesome Dove Drive-Thru Safari Visit Lonesome Dove Drive-Thru Safari, petting zoo and train ride, two miles morth of Jefferson on Hwy 59.
ADMISSION $16 CHILDREN 4-12 $10, 3 & UNDER FREESaturday, May 15, 10:30AM–4PM; Sunday, May 16,10:30AM–4PMLonesome Dove Phone: 903-240-6180
Added attractions to the Train Show include a Kid’s Corral complete with crafts and games and an area where children can play with wood train toys. The train vendors will have products for model train enthusiasts and for the entire family.
Tickets for Train Show are $7, children under six free, and includes a tour of the R.D. Moses layout at the Museum. Purchase tickets at the Train Show day of event.
*The Historic Jefferson Railway recreates the Golden Era of Railroading with narrated day trains on Saturday at 12:30 and 2:30, and Sunday at 2:30. An antique gas-powered narrow-gauge locomotive will take you on a scenic trip along the Big Cypress Bayou. As you roll through the history laden Piney Woods, you’ll view a Confederate Powder Magazine and traverse the site of one of the oldest, historical towns in Texas. You can still see building remains from the 1800’s. Each train ride includes a stop at the Diamond Don Gator Pit to see seven live alligators. Watch them jump out of the water for their dinner. Great photo opportunities, too.
Train tickets are $12, children under six free.
Tickets can be purchased online at www.JeffersonRailway.com or at Historic Jefferson Train Depot on day of event.
Jay Gould Rail Car “Atalanta” is an opulent private parlor railroad car with original elegant furnishings of a mansion on wheels. It is a Pullman built by the American Car & Foundry Company in 1888. Check at the Excelsior House for tickets and tour times, or call 903-665-2513.
Sunday Social, 1:00-3:00 pm. Come join an old-fashioned Sunday Social at the General Store on Austin Street in downtown Jefferson. Purchase a root beer float, nostalgic candy and one-of-a-kind souvenirs. “The Core, Band” with Travis Babb on guitar will be playing outside on the lot next to General Store. Riverport Ambassadors in period dress make this an event you will want to see. Free to the public. There will be plenty of time to visit the Jefferson Train Show and ride the train.
Jefferson, Texas is a member of the Union Pacific Railroad’s Train Town USA Registry as a part of UP’s ongoing efforts to recognize cities having a historical connection to the railroad.
For more information: www.HistoricJeffersonTrainShow.com; 903-240-6039; 866-398-2038. info@JeffersonRailway.com. Facebook: Historic Jefferson Train Show; Historic Jefferson Railway; Jefferson General Store, The Core, Band.
Also go to www.visitjeffersontexas.com for information on lodging and other activities in Jefferson, Texas.